Brought to you by Steelhead Food Co.
Sockeye salmon are known for their bright red flesh and their bold, salmon-y scent. They're the most flavourful (what some would consider fishy) of all salmon and are commonly sold smoked, in high-end salmon burgers, and by the fillet.
Check out this recipe from: recipetineats.com
JAPANESE MISO SALMON SIDE (BBQ OR BAKE)
This Japanese Miso Salmon is 4 ingredient magic at its best. A family recipe, this whole or side of salmon with a classic Japanese miso marinade is a stunning EASY centrepiece for a special occasion.
- 1.6 - 2.4 lb / 0.8 - 1.2kg side of salmon , skin on (Note 1)
- Oil , for barbecue
- 5 tbsp miso paste (Note 2)
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 2/3 tbsp sake (Japanese rice wine)
- 1 2/3 tbsp mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- Sesame seeds
- Scallions/shallots , finely sliced
- Mix together the marinade ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.
- Place the salmon skin side up on a work surface and slather with just under half the marinade.
- Turn the salmon so it is skin side down onto a large piece of cling wrap. Slather the remaining marinade on the flesh side.
- Wrap the salmon in cling wrap. Marinade for 24 to 48 hours.
- Scrape the marinade off (do not rinse with water) and leave the salmon to come to room temperature <- KEY for perfectly cooked salmon.
- Preheat barbecue plate side on MEDIUM LOW. Leave it to heat up for a good 10 to 15 minutes - another tip for cooking salmon perfectly.
- Add oil just before cooking. Place the salmon on the BBQ skin side down. Cook for 3 minutes, then use two spatulas to turn it. Cook the flesh side for 2 - 3 minutes or until caramelized, then flip it again so the skin side is down then transfer to a tray.
- Cover loosely with foil to rest for 5 minutes before serving. It will continue cooking while resting.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and finely sliced shallots.